Monday, February 6, 2012

"They grow up too fast."

I just tucked my oldest into bed. We started reading a big girl book, Anne of Green Gables. Since she was getting to bed late, I figured we'd read a few pages and get to sleep. My plan took an unexpected turn when I realized that she was not only listening to the story, but terribly heartsick that Anne may not be wanted, and was to be sent from the home with Matthew and Marilla.We read through the next few chapters to find that she indeed she was wanted, and had found her new home as well as a friend in the neighbor girl.

Everyone always tells me to enjoy these days; they are fleeting. The girls will be grown before I know what happened, and I will look back at these short years as the best in my life. I know this is true, but during moments like today when Annika was in time out for being sassy, and screaming her most dramatic cry, inspiring Lydia to join in, the years seem long... the minutes seem never ending.

As I snuggled Annika to sleep tonight, she seemed to be growing before my eyes. Yes, the cliche "it seemed like only yesterday" is all too real. Yesterday, she was reading Sandra Boynton. Today, Anne of Green Gables. I remembered the phase when she would only sleep if her nose was touching mine, and I never would have imagined her sleeping in her own room, much less her own bed. But, somehow, she is, and she really is growing faster that I ever knew possible.

Yes, parents of grown children, you are right; the time flies, and they will be grown before I know it. Would you please be so kind as to remind me of this tomorrow when the girls are awake?

Good night all,

Deanna

2 comments:

  1. OK, but the good thing is that even as they grow older, they still are so dear that you still enjoy the precious minutes, even the difficult ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll remember that. So far, I find their growth & milestones pretty thrilling. Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete